Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Not so unlikely a connection to make

I was heading into town a few weeks back, one of those instances when I'm bussing it there and thus leaving extra early. It was a bit of a rainy day and I found myself the only at the the bus stop.

I was staring at the ground, littered with the sticky dark brown seed pods of these trees found all over the island. They're annoying, and cling to the bottom of your shoe partly because they build up on the ground fairly quickly.

I was listening to "Almost Alice," the 'inspired by' soundtrack for Tim Burton's recent remake, staring at the concrete sidewalk and occasionally glancing up to see if the bus was coming. The sky was a pale blue, edging around gray, and from time to time, rain would sprinkle over then dissipate, then return.

Out of the blue, I started thinking of Keats. But I suppose it makes sense. Ode to Autumn was one of the first Keats poems I ever read, and is also one of my favorites. I couldn't help but imagine Keats in the modern world, staring up at a sky like that and still writing a poem that sounded about the same.


And before typing the above, I started thinking about the original purpose of this blog, showing Keats iterations and appearances in the present day, and how differently he comes through with the advent of the internet (well, "advent" since the 1800s). Most blogs have their oldest post as the one furthest down, so technically, if this had been truly reflective of its form, I should've typed the first past as post one. Instead, I organized it so the first post my professor would read, i.e. the one at the top, would be Page 1 of the printed copy. It was a deliberate choice, but now I wonder if I couldn't have had another layer of analysis, by simply offering the pages as one would've if they'd started out as blog posts, rather than converted from a paper. Just pondering.

No comments: